Monday, January 02, 2006

A local guide takes us into the Rainforest

Nothing like a quiet retreat into the rainforest with just a half a handful of people after being on a boisterous tour bus for eleven days.

So a few of us from the quaint little hostel in Cairns on the northern part of the east coast piled into a local's teeny toyota two door. A very interesting chap temporarily living at the hostel imparted his local knowledge, wisdom and quite humbling and inspiring stories and experiences from his life and death after driving us out to a local swimming hole with some nice jumping ledges, butterflies and lizards along the way. Particularly interesting was the entlike tree that you half expected to stretch its roots out and start walking toward you. I didn't manage to get a pic of the large lizard in the forest though.

Pixagogo direct photo link

So, yeah, bought a new camera and also got a memory stick for my video camera to take pictures on the fly while filming.

Pixagogo direct photo link

Pixagogo direct photo link

Someone trying to cross the falls.
Pixagogo direct photo link

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

jake,
great new stories. I am a bit under the weither here because I had a hard night of drinking new years eve and my body could not handle it. Well it is raining and we are watiching the rose parade. I get jealous when I read your blog. you are doing all the things I have always wanted to do, but have been too scard or too brock to pull off. It is so great. We never wearry of your stories. When do you come home.
love allie

Anonymous said...

jake,
great new stories. I am a bit under the weither here because I had a hard night of drinking new years eve and my body could not handle it. Well it is raining and we are watiching the rose parade. I get jealous when I read your blog. you are doing all the things I have always wanted to do, but have been too scard or too brock to pull off. It is so great. We never wearry of your stories. When do you come home.
love allie

Anonymous said...

Jason, I hope your last weeks on the road are great. As Allie was saying I wish I was there as well. I'll just have to take my kids some day. Can't wait to see you and of course to continue to see your journey unfold.
Love Illona

The Intrepid Dr. Root said...

I got pretty sick too last couple nights of not enough sleep and too much alcohol. Still coming 'round as it were.

Geo, read my blog you bum! Actually, it's really pretty boring, but glad you like the pics.

Anonymous said...

hey man.
becoming quite the lush matey. good you're letting it rip a bit. wish i were out there with you. we could drown each other ceremoniously in the pacific.

well, i ran around the field a few times today in teh snow, nearly fainted after.

also getting pretty ripped like jesus from lifting a lot of weight and eating like a moose.

when you coming back dude?
enjoy your last few.

your chum,
b

Anonymous said...

Dear Son,The Holy nights are over,snow still prevails on the east coast,Sophis and Sean are off to argentina,Life begins anew with a full house here.I fly out on friday 13!
CPR